I am now on a mission to finish my mid century room box. But I will share some of my progress with the kitchen for now. The exterior is done. I need to seal and touch up window trim inside. The big project will be securing the electrical underneath, designing a light fixture that will hang from the ceiling (and work) and finish the fireplace.
In the kitchen I need to complete the breakfast bar on the wall opposite the kitchen set up. I did finish the extractor hood, but I got a new phone and those pictures are still on the old phone. Another day, another project!
Also, I apologize for the picture quality. I gave up trying to find the time to take it outside to photograph and just shot it in the basement. Sigh.
I ran my LED lights through the hole I cut in the wall. I wasn`t sure at the time what I was going to run, so I left lots of space. The LED strip lights came from Dollarama. I almost lost my mind. Nano strip lights with resistors built in. Just cut to the desired length and its attached to a battery pack. It`s like the heavens parted and gave me the BEST GIFT EVER! And I have a million lights left, so I bought more battery packs on Ebay that I can attach to it.
I used simple bass wood make the cabinet boxes, then glued on the fronts. Under the upper cabinets have a small lip along the bottom that conceals the LED strip (4 lights).
The back splash is corrugated wood from the railway store. Its supposed to be railway scale roofing. But as soon as I saw it I knew what I wanted it for!
As I worked with my dollar store LEDs I immediately thought, what if they die! (not like the ones you buy on Ebay are any different, but I`m paranoid). So, to ensure I can access them, I put half inch brackets on the wall. The cabinets sit on them and are flush to the wall. I will end up securing them on with museum wax. But this way, I can always get to the lights and the wiring.
When I get my photos off my old phone (I still miss you my sweet Blackberry), I will post a tutorial on how I made the stainless steel applicance faces. But, the short of it is I took a Homax wall repair kit from Walmart and used the stainless steel sheets it came with. Sooooooooooo much cheaper then hobby store aluminum. Then, I bent it around thin wood. I`m quite pleased with it.
The sink came from The Little Dollhouse Company. I drilled holes in the bottom, added mesh and a ring for enhanced sink-ness. The counter top is faux granite. The faux part being me with pastels drawing and shading lines in. But then I almost lost them as I sealed with with a water based sealer. Ha.....but seriously, I almost cried.
And here it is lit and unlit! Those lights are bright! I just got some of Marion Russek`s light switches and plugs from Shapeways that I will be adding in too.
And in other news.....
Before my Petit Point workshop I squeezed in some shopping at The Little Dollhouse Company. As if I could leave empty handed! I also grabbed some floral kits and 1 inch scaled fabrics. Most of the lights are for my NEXT build. Always planning ahead.....or I`m a sucker for cute minis.
|Table, floor and ceiling lights|
|Food and cleaning products|
|Art box by Ella M. Reulbach|
|Large basket by Al Chandronnait. Washboard by Sir Tom Thumb|
And in honor of all the women marching worldwide in the Women`s March.....
......from one Nasty Woman to the blog world....