Friday, January 22, 2016

Sew Sew Sew Your Boat Gently Down The Stream..........



I decided that since I was making such good progress working through my kits that I would try my hand at a new skill, petit point.

I can cross stitch and I'm already wearing glasses, so I figured I am well suited for tiny stitching.  I ordered 2 pillow kits from Janet Granger.  I like symmetry with pillows on a couch, so I went with 2 of the same "Tree of Life"kit.  I actually made the 2 pillows with the thread from just 1 kit,  bonus for me!  It is on 22 count canvas and measures roughly 3.5cm x 3.5cm.

The kits arrive.  I have a panic attack about not knowing what the %*#* I'm doing and then order 1 more pillow kit, "The Golden Star,"  from Melissa`s Miniwereld in 40 count (ahhhh!).  Then I ordered the Bokhara rug kit (24 count gauze) from Tremeer's Treasures still not know what the %$*#; I'm doing.  But that's ok! That`s what YouTube is for!!!

After my YouTube adventures reassured me that I could do it and showed me the necessary stitches, I was good to go.  Three evenings later I had 2 pillows completed.


My YouTube Resources



I'm off to working on 1 more pillow and then start the rug (which I will work on in the background).  But if I can petit point, anyone can.  Just be prepared to go a bit blind, have a sore neck and a stiff hand.


Some Other Sewing....


And here are some of my Ikea Finurlig fabric (cheap stack of fabric swatches) pillows that I managed to make.  Miss Kitty was fascinated with the sewing machine.  And she helped me fill my pillows with seed beads.  Needless to say, it took awhile to fill each one.











And I put together 2 quilt kits from Tremeer's Treasures.  Could I say no to a $3.50 complete kit? No.  The first one (blue) I hand sewed entirely.  Mostly, because I hadn't planned to "quilt" it with lines of stitches.  The red quilt was done on my sewing machine, but I had stitched the white border on.





6 comments :

  1. All the pillows are lovely. I love the love the Janet Granger ones.
    The quilts look great. It reminds me of some quilt fabric I have in my stock. Maybe sometime in the future I'll try my hand in making a mini quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Drora! I really love Janet's kits. All the parts in one kit makes it so easy!

      Delete
  2. What a busy lady you are, but to Very Good purpose. Your quilts and your cushions look Great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth! I might have ordered so more pillow kits.....(clearing throat) don't tell anyone.

      Delete
  3. I think it's great you have such enthousiasm and confidence in something you don't know what you're doing Kat ;). And you've done very well, the embroidered pillows look great, well done! I'm curious to the 40 count :D, must result in becoming even more blind, a sorer neck and more stiff hands I guess, haha. Lovely quilts and other pillows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe. Thanks. I've stopped the 40 count for a bit. I was swearing waaaaaay to much as I worked. I needed a break. The rug as been MUCH easier

      Delete