Tuesday, November 08, 2016

Brampton Show Extraveganza







So I said I might attend the Brampton Miniatures Bazaar. Well, I did!  I missed out last year due to my husband travelling and not having babysitting that day. Bringing a small child to these things is not good for ones mental health.

The show consists of miniaturists selling their used, but often new, items in their stash. I came with a wad of cash, fully caffeinated, bladder empty and my head in the game. It was go time.

Like a kid in a candy store. The prices were rock bottom. The items were first rate. Most items were priced lower then tagged (and the tagged prices were more then reasonable). I'm pretty sure I had a look of awe and crazy as I walked through. It was busy, and getting to hunt through bins was tough. But, most of the items I'm after aren't popular. 

 I was really pleased to snag an older Kim Stewart Vintage Miniatures kit, the deck chair.  Truthfully, I had passed her kits before, but they had appeared very "simple."  They are not simple! In fact, they are extremely well designed and crafted.  Kim is an IGMA artisan in wicker, which I learned after the fact.  I will get more of her kits at the Guelph show in the spring.






I intended to grab a few lighting items from a box, but ended up with the box and all its contents. I found out it was the box that was $20. Which was less then the marked items I was holding (and was told I had to buy the box). I now have a lifetime worth of lights, bulbs and wire!




Miniaturist Diane Mitchell was selling some of her vintage handmade pieces. I spotted this over someone's shoulders as I was leaving. Full stop. Went back and grabbed the rattan pieces (made in 1981). There were more but I exercised restraint. Now I regret it.  Should have fought through the crowd at that table first!  If anyone knows more about Diane, please let me know!




One miniaturist was selling many interesting pieces for just a few dollars each, such as a metal bed kit, a Realife Miniatures Music Room kit and a Queen Anne dining table kit made by Harold Watson (for the Annual Jacobstettle Workshop - March 31, 1989 - seller said he had passed away). And I love the little roast by J & J Miniatures (Jane MacGregor of Winnipeg, MB).




A look at another table revealed something I recognized immediately, pieces from Maggie Melinda (by IGMA artisan Janet Harvie). Normally her sofa are quite expensive, but a collector was selling her pieces for over 80% off. I found a beautiful neutral sofa that was just perfect.




After both shows were over, and my haul safely in my basement, the most fun I had was going through all the new items and tucking them safely away. It gets the wheels turning and reminds you of the interesting pieces you have tucked away.

But before I added all the small kits to my horde never to see the light of day for months to come, I started making a few.  I repaired the broken chair.  An easy fix, I just drilled out the broken leg dowel and inserted a new one!  The butterfly display box (kit designed by Sandra Quigley & Laurie Mecke) was a quick build while I watched The Walking Dead.




14 comments :

  1. Great haul: I'm very envious :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I can see this becoming a yearly pilgrimage

      Delete
  2. KITS! Kat, you said KITS! And each time you said KITS my heart leapt for joy! As you know, I LOVE KITS!!! Even IF they do stay in a drawer for a year, I GUARANTEE that the minute you see them again you'll re-experience the joy of just HAVING them!!! And the rattan! Please do a 3's company apartment!!! Including the Ropers downstairs!!! You have the perfect furniture now!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know me too well Jodi! My new room box is mid century modern. And they will work perfectly in there.

      And I've been good at tackling even more kits!

      Delete
  3. Bravo!!! That's some excellent shopping right there. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was so pumped. My poor husband thought I was loosing my mind one mini at a time

      Delete
  4. WOWEEEEE!!!!! What a Shopper- you went fully loaded and lookin' for BEAR!
    Good shootin' Tex! :D

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you have caffeine and an empty bladder the world is your oyster ;)

      Delete
  5. Wow, that is quite a haul. Can I borrow you for my next bargain hunt? =0D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband calls me a "value investor." He says I'd be a good investment banker if they dealt in minis.

      Delete
  6. Lucky you! Start saving now so you can really capitalise on all those wonderful bargains next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan too! I might also put some aside for "Christmas gifts" from my husband so I can get a few more!!

      Delete