Saturday, June 24, 2017

Hello Summer!



Hello Summer! In my mind I had posted quite a bit, but translating my thoughts to the written words is another issue.  If only the Blogger app reliably worked and the PicMonkey app let me watermark my pictures on my phone...then you'd hear more from me!

I'm still pondering my new build project.  And by ponder I mean, its in a box in a cupboard and I keep saving Instagram images for inspiration.  Hehehe....guess I better get moving on that!

What I have started in the Ikea Flisat dollhouse.  It's going to be for Miss Kitty's school's silent auction.  I've primed it and stained the floors.  Now its a matter of going through all my paint in the basement and deciding on what colours it will be.  It won't a traditional build with traditional finishes.  Much more modern a la @whimsy_woods or @minihome_co or @onebrownbear on Instagram.  It's what the mommy's of today want...a dollhouse that fits their decor.  So, since its a fundraiser piece, I will go with what will generate the most interest (and actually cost less then a traditional build).  So, its off to eBay for some of the furniture and the rest of the decor I will make.

Oh, and as I started to go on a bedding (sewing) bender...my Ikea Sy sewing machine died!! Many words were said that cannot be typed here as it malfunctioned as I sewed comforters. I would sew the same side twice just to get it to finish all the stitches.  It's a mechanical issue and when a $70 machine malfunctions, its hard to pay double that to fix it.  I've got my eye on a Brother machine at Costco!!






Mini mini mini time!!

But in the mean time, between Miss Kitty's school and gardening (and sitting outside at night and enjoying the weather).....there's always time to mini!!!


Keli's gorgeous notebook!!


Found some lovely green Rye pottery at an antique market a few weeks ago! 





At that same market I found some new beads (the red and yellow vases).  I also realized I hadn't made a new piece of furniture recently as I pulled out that dresser.



The other evening while I was sitting around stitching and my neck got sore, I went rooting through my minis and put together a kitchen scene.  The sink unit was a vintage piece I found at the Brampton show last fall.

That cast iron pan looks like a well seasoned pan, right? Wellllllll that's because I never cleaned the dirt out of it from the lot it came with at an antique show.  I feel kinda gross about it, but it looks like a convincing dirty pan (because it is!)...so it will stay....and now you will think I'm a mini slob.









I got a shout out in the Artisans In Miniature Emagzine (Issue 62) for my Janet Granger contest entry! I stitched her tiger rug.



And while on my vacation in May to Jamaica, I used my airplane time wisely and began stitching another rug by Janet Granger, call "Hannah".  Which I did not finish on the beach like I had planned! I quite like the pattern.



And then I started the "Tabriz" (allegedly "small" - I'd hate to see the large one, but I never read the dimensions on these things when I buy them). It's been slower to stitch because of the number of colour changes and frankly, I get bored! 



So my evenings have been filled with work, stitching, painting a dollhouse and hand stitching the pillows/comforters from the sewing machine disaster.  I look forward to showing you next time my progress on the charity build!




14 comments :

  1. It's so nice to see you on the blog again, Kat! I am surprised that you have any time at all with the little one home for summer!
    You do such amazing needle work, and I am so excited for the new auction project! Your nod in AIM is well deserved - that rug is incredible!
    And furniture and sewing machine shopping? Yes please! How fun! It sounds like you have some fun months ahead of you, and if you can't find time to blog, at least I get to see what you're up to on Instagram!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have pics of the auction build soon! Thankfully its not a complicated build, so its enjoyable!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on the shout out! Well deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Long time no see! Good to hear from you. Can't wait to see your charity build. You always decorate so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila! I`m pretty excited for the build. Since its kid friendly, its not fiddly and delicate, so making and decorating the build is much more fun!

      Delete
  4. I always love your mini scenes. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Nothing makes me relax more then mini scene design.

      Delete
  5. I love your mini scenes, so realistic, so beautiful, so harmonious colours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on the AIM magazine shout out, Kat! It was certainly well-deserved and that recognition must have made you feel pretty stoked! :))
    I think that your taste and discernment are Superb. You have an Eye for Detail that transports the viewer straight into them, which makes us all feel right at Home! ♡

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those Mommies don't know the treat they're in for! I didn't know Ikea actually sold a dollhouse! Can't wait to see it when you are done :)
    The new stitch project is beautiful! Love the colours! And congrats on the magazine feature! The scene looks fab with the yellow rug!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Guys this is very wonderful site.I am very likely to this site.i have more information from this site thanks for sharing
    หนังสยองขวัญ

    ReplyDelete