Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Oh How Pretty You Look....


I stole a few wants and desires for my own home for the bedroom.  I love the round mirrors suspended with a strap from a peg.  And of course, you need to make a vignette, so I had to make a semi floating shelf.  Unfortunately I don't really have a place for this in my house.  I have placed several of these mirrors in my shopping cart over the years, only to put them back.  I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to make it real, in mini.

Mirror Supplies:


  • 1/16 wood scrap (to back mirror) or mat board
  • Cardstock
  • Dowel
  • Quick Grip glue
  • Paint
  • Craft knife 
  • 1" diameter circle craft mirror
  • Sand paper

Shelf Supplies


  • 1/16 sheet wood
  • Black paint
  • Gold paint
  • Quick Grip glue
  • Dowel
  • Satin clear coat spray paint (Rustoleum)


Mirror






I took the mirror and traced it on the wood.  I then cut the wood with my craft knife and sanded it.  I backed it on wood because I wanted some depth to the mirror.  The real sized mirrors often have deep frames around them.  The mirror and the wood together allowed me to have a nice wide strip of cardstock to wrap around it. 
















Glue the mirror to the circle of wood.


















Cut a strip of cardstock slightly wider then the combined depth of the mirror and wood (now glued together.  Go ahead an cut a slice of dowel at least the same depth as the mirror and wood together.  Slightly longer is better and more realistic.















Lay your mirror and dowel on a table and determine the distance you want between them.  Starting from the middle of your cardstock strip, start gluing it to the mirror/wood from what would be the bottom point of the mirror. 










I went back and touched up some visible wood areas with black paint.  

I glued everything to the wall with Quick Grip glue.












Shelf









The shelf was 3 pieces of 1/16th balsa.  I cut it to fit nicely between the door and the window.  Somewhere to check your hair before you head out for the day













I like a little asymmetry in a room.  It does unsettle me because I am ALL about symmetry, but its nice to have a little imbalance.

I used a slice of dowel I painted gold to add interest and support the shelf.

You will see in later pictures I did add 1 leg (gold painted dowel) to the left side of the shelf.  The weird bump out along the floor in the house made something look off.  The single leg grounded the shelf but still retained its unusual appearance.

2 comments :

  1. How wonderful to be able to make something you would love to have in your real home to =) It's easier to make it and have it in a dollhouse, than in big size...
    Thank you for sharing how you made it =)
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Hannah! Making it mini is so much easier!

      Delete