Sunday, November 15, 2015

Giving In To Christmas



I have started my Christmas mini making.  Since this is my first mini Christmas, I have had to make a few purchases and start making my own items.  Unlike Halloween, I am starting with more then a 2 week runway.  Side note, I finished my Halloween projects last week, so I'm ready for next year!

This 1:12 scale gingerbread house came as a wood laser cut kit from MiniEtchers.  I didn't place the candy canes as suggested and I used less of the pieces for the chimney then provided.

Having a distinct aversion to putting my toe into the polymer clay pond (there just isn't enough hours in my day), I had no clue what to decorate the kit with.  It came with the candy canes, gingerbread people and tree.  BUT, the mini heavens parted this weekend and I visited The Little Dollhouse Company on Saturday and they had the solution.  They had clay canes for making all sorts candy, but also my solution for gingerbread house decor!

Also, being clueless on what to make icing from, I stared at my giant pile of crafting and household items around my workbench and decided on gesso mixed with plaster powder (i.e. the stuff you patch your walls with).  It worked really well and looks like icing. 

I've been sewing little stockings and other various Christmas items along with photographing my last Christmas gift project and working on the room box.  The floors will go down this week!  I have blisters on my fingers from cutting floor boards.



10 comments :

  1. The Gesso concoction really does look like icing. A great solution to your polymer clay aversion =0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wellllllllll I might have purchased some clay today. I have a few lantern kits I want to finish and I need candles. We shall see how that goes! I guess it's never say never.

      Delete
  2. Looks really cute! I'll have to look for the canes at the LDC when I'm in Toronto next. I made Christmas cookies a couple years ago from clay and they were really easy - maybe try something similar? Michaels always has good deals on Fimo, but I am so happy I made the splurge (with a coupon of course) for the clay roller (like a pasta roller). It honestly shaved hours off of making time. I'm thinking about Christmas minis too, look at us so prepared this year! :D high-five!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know when you say never....you eat your words?!? I went and bought clay yesterday at Michael's. I want to make candles. And I'm tired of burning my fingers using a BBQ lighter and real wax (which does work, but I look like I'm making crack over a tin can, seriously). If the candles work, then I might order some molds from Stewart Dollhouse Co. I'm tackling the Christmas printies from Ambers House right now. They are so cute!

      Delete
  3. I think I saw mini Hansel and Gretel eyeing your gingerbread house. Its cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And if I see them I won't try to toss them in the oven!

      Delete
  4. Good for you being so on schedule with this! I like it, and the icing is very smart! And good luck with the clay/making the candles, I'm confident you'll do fine :). Dip that toe and enjoy it :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monique! At this rate the candles will be a January project!

      Delete