Sunday, March 11, 2018

The 2018 Charity Build





Drum roll.....the Charity Build is done!  I struggled on a cute name for the project, so Charity Build it shall remain.

The Recap


I started this build as a side project last summer for Miss Kitty's nursery school's silent auction in 2018.  Anyone can solicit for donations, but not everyone can make a dollhouse!  While this house is definitely aimed for the well over 3 years of age crowd, our school has lots of older siblings that would LOVE this.

The house hits the auction block in May.  I'm hoping to get a few competitive moms pitted against each other. 

The house is the IKEA Flisat.  One wall was removed from the lower level to make an open concept living space. The kitchen cabinets, TV cabinet, toilet, tub and bed are all glued in, but the rest is free to be played with.

Many items in the house were generously donated by Keli and Jodi.  In addition to what you see in the house pictures, I have a large box filled with a ton of donated accessories and additional furniture so little minds can be creative.

In The Beginning


I painted the structure with kitchen cabinet paint. The floor is the original pine that I stained a medium brown (it hid the grain well!).  The wall paper is scrapbook paper that was glued down with wallpaper paste and sealed with matte Mod Podge.  

All the wall art is from the internet, mostly art that I would love in my own home but lack the wall space for. 

The Kitchen


The kitchen cabinets are an eBay find. I pried off the oven hood and vent, then I applied tiny tile paper as a back splash.  The faucet was donated by Jodi and 3D printed in metal.  You can find it in her Shapeway Store - My Miniature Madness.  I had only read about 3D printing in metal, and I have to say the end product is pretty impressive!

The items you see displayed on the counter also came from Keli and Jodi.  The mixer and the oil are even more adorable in real life. Keli sent the cats and they fit perfectly in the kitchen.



The Living Room


I made the velvet couch extra deep to allow for large dolls to sit comfortably.  I settled on Sylvanian Family/Calico Critters as my family of choice.  They're small and cute!  The dress was crocheted for a 1:6 Kelly doll, but works perfectly in 1:12 (and on a Calico Critter!).  I made the Chanel purse from wood and paper.  Every momma Koala needs Chanel, right?






The Bathroom


The toilet and tub came from a lot at a vintage and antique show 2 years ago.  One of those things that just sit around in the basement until the right project comes a long.  Jodi sent the little scrubbed!  The blue mat was made by the same lady that made the dress.




The Bedroom


The bed is made of palettes which I thought was very of the moment and chic.  Probably not the greatest for the longevity of your mattress or back, but its all in the name of style. I upholstered the headboard in grey cotton.  There was a back and forth about tufting it and thankfully I talked myself out of it!

The bedside lamps took 2 months to arrive from China.  I thought the first order was lost, so I reordered.  And waited.  Then they both arrived on the same day last week!  The lamps were the final piece of the puzzle, so I was happy they showed up.

The storage cabinet came from Keli, but I repainted and stuffed it with decorator books!  The cutest piece in the room (in my opinion) is the peg board.  All those little doo-dads and paper bits!






So there you have it! One more thing off my to do list.  I've never taken pictures as quickly as these ones.  It was a nice sunny day, but so bone chilling cold that I barely had the back drop up and house out before my fingers were frozen!

I made a PVC pipe photo back drop for Miss Kitty's birthday last year.  Nothing cuter then little ones posing with photo props!  But if you reconstruct the back drop frame with the same pieces of pipe but make it shorter, it makes for a great photo back drop for minis.  Just toss a sheet over the frame and use some clamps to keep it from blowing away.  Here's a link to what I had based mine on.  I got the pipe and connectors at the hardware store and cut the pipe at home with my saw.  Quick, easy and cheap! 

I will let you know the final bid.....and see if I do another for next year.  If I do (and yes, I'm sure I will regardless), it will be the Primrose or the Orchid since I have them in a box in my basement (4 years and counting....).





22 comments :

  1. Wow! It turned out wonderfully. I can't wait to hear how it does at auction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I envision a fight at the nursery school when this goes up for auction. It is gorgeous! It deserves to make a bundle for the charity :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank's Pepper. Angry women throwing hot Starbuck's lattes at each other is my goal ;)

      Delete
  3. It turned out wonderfully! Good luck with the auction, I hope it gives the school a little bundle of cash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keli! And thank you again for your additions to the build!

      Delete
  4. There are going to be plenty of grown up little girls coveting this incredibly styled and accessorized dollhouse! You did an amazing job turning what you had, what was donated and what was sensibly purchased into a fabulous and fashionable "play" house! You should feel very proud, and excited to start doing something for YOU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jodi....and thank you again for your generous donations!! I can imagine the large cabinet you sent being jammed with little trinkets by little fingers!

      Delete
  5. Forget the kids! ALL of the moms will be wanting this BEAUTIFUL DOLLHOUSE for themselves!!!

    And get their children some Playmobile instead.

    Two Thumbs WAY UP, Kat! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed!!! Let's hope the spark of play hasn't escaped the adults

      Delete
  6. WOW!!!! Fantastic dollhouse, he did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, the wealth of detail in there! It is going to be a champion fund raiser. Love your photos, standing out in the cold to do it was worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Megan! The cold inspires you to get it right the first time or freeze!

      Delete
  8. The house is absolutely charming, it's so harmonious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful, cozy and modern home. I love it!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kat this is fantastic! I think my favourite part is that it will appeal to adults and children. You balanced the child-approved durable play factor pieces with your style and sophistication. Which was clearly important for this event! For me the bedding is the show stopper in this modern neutral palette.
    I know this home will be so well loved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kristine! And check out the sewing section of Walmart, they have some awesome fat quarters with modern prints!!

      Delete
  11. nice article great post comment information thanks for sharing.
    หนังดราม่า

    ReplyDelete