Monday, February 08, 2016

Kits And Bits And More!



Finally! I have got everything together to show you some of the kits I tackled in January. I also just finished a bunch of floral kits, but that's another post.

I like making kits.  It's nice to be able to start and finish something in a relatively short period of time.  Unlike some of my projects.....

And now is confession time.  I got a new room box at The Little Dollhouse Company this weekend.  Thankfully, its simple and all it needs is paint and a floor.  I will start my big house soon, but I got bored of shooting mini scenes in my "house" room box.  And in other news, I have returned to Miss Kitty's dollhouse.  I have been finishing the exterior painting and have resumed spending my free evenings working on the house.  It will be finished!!!!

And here are my projects!


By Me!


I decided to try my hand at making my own bottles with beads and findings I had.  The "tray" is actually a large brass button.




All Through The House by Amy Robinson


I love All Through The House kits! Love, love, love.  I have a boots kit I haven't tackled yet, but that will be soon.  And I grabbed a sheep skin slippers kit yesterday.  They are just so much fun and realistic!  Most I find on ebay, but with the Canadian dollar in the toilet, I haven't been looking much.  The Little Dollhouse Company stocks some kits and lots of completed items though, but not the interesting ones I want.


Fishing Creel

Cribbage 

Mini Etchers


I really enjoy kits from MiniEtchers.  Despite the excellent price, some just don't fit together as expected.  I try and I try and there is no possible way it will fit like the very fuzzy picture indicates.  But, that said, they are fun and easy to work with.  So if something below looks off, it is.  But there was no alternative.  

Shabby Lantern & Greenhouse Lantern

Planter With Handle (brown) & 1:24 Basket


Cabin Birdhouse (minus post)

Cabin Birdhouse (minus post)

Suet Feeder

Barn With Animals



The Little Dollhouse Company


The Little Dollhouse Company always has a nice selection of kits on hand.  I decided to try the sewing basket and the "ceramic" tile tray kits from Daisy House Furniture.  I was incredibly happy with the results.  The kits are amazing and very well designed and easy to assemble.

I also decided to try my hand at basket weaving.  Why not??  I've always been impressed with mini weaving and figured for $10 I can't go wrong....and if its horrible then I pretend like it didn't happen. The wicker basket kit is by IGMA artisan Barbara Richmond The basket didn't photograph well at all after I sealed it.  It looks much better in real life and is featured in an upcoming post in all its (slightly wonky and imperfect weaving) glory.  


Daisy House Sewing Basket

Daisy House Sewing Basket
   
Barbara Richmond Basket Kit

Daisy House Tray


 Shapeways


 When Shapeways had free shipping and the Canadian dollar wasn't totally in the toilet several months ago, I grabbed a few 3D printed items from Shapeways.  All the items are by Anshuman Bhatia and are in 1:24 scale.  I wanted neat desk lamps for 1:12 scale scenes, so I went one scale smaller!  The boxes are bread and soda crates, but look like awesome desk containers in 1:12.





Grandpa's Dollhouse


Grandpa's Dollhouse always has really neat items and even better prices.  The dartboard broke my heart though.  After meticulous painting I went to matte finish spray the checkers board and the dartboard.  The checkers board was fine.  But, the spray can seemed to vomit spray at the moment it touched the dartboard and though it looked ok at the time, it dried hazy.  All my hard work....ruined? I still like it.  I tried to sand it and it looked worse, so I left it as is.  Sigh.


Dart Board & Checkers Board

Ebay


Mysmallworld11 on Ebay is a Canadian! And they makes awesome printies!!  How awesome!  And the price is even better.  Recently, they added some new printies in a higher resolution and I am in love.  I can't stop looking at my aluminum foil or my garbage bags box (yes, that's real garbage bag poking out).








15 comments :

  1. You've been a busy bee!

    I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary about the dartboard, the finish imperfection must not photograph well...that scenario always works in the opposite direction for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes me feel better. I make a sad face every time I look at it.

      Delete
  2. great work on the kits Kat, I agree that kits are great! I look forward to your roombox, will be nicer to have that for photoshoots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That room is was supposed to be a simple project....it got out of hand. But it was fun!

      Delete
  3. Hi Kat! I have to agree with Keli, I see nothing amiss with the dartboard and as a matter of fact, to me it has a vintage feel as if it has been hanging around for a long time, and not Brand Spankin' New!
    I love the assorted kits that you have thus far completed, each one has personality and style and I am looking forward to seeing how you incorporated each one into your wonderful scenes.
    and I LOVE your printies - especially the foil!

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth! The ebay printies are fab. And cost less then a cup of Timmies!

      Delete
  4. Oh, and I nearly forgot to mention the Terrific work that you did on the sewing basket- IMPRESSIVE,.... most IMPRESSIVE! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love kits! You found some good ones! Since you don't like how the dartboard turned out, give that one to Kitty for play, and get yourself another dartboard kit. You worked really hard on it and you deserve to have one that reflects that. You get a Mulligan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was actually thinking of putting it in her dollhouse! Or, I might make some darts with feathers that will mask the dart board. We shall see how motivated i get ;)

      Delete
  6. Love you kits, they all look perfect to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all the website links - very dangerous! I took a basket weaving class, and it was going brilliantly until after lunch - when I must have been very involved in conversation - because then I missed some weaves (but didn't check) and now it looks very lopsided. Oh well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The key to weaving (in my opinion) is not to look too closely at it and be sure to hide it in the background of pictures. Problem solved!

      Delete