Tuesday, 13 January 2015

Ottoman for your tired little legs

I apologize for the rather sad ironing board cover that appears in my blog photos.  It has seen more then its fair share of iron-on hemming for drapes and crafts.  I swear its not dirty, its just burnt on hemming tape!

I couldn't think of anything witty with ottoman in it for the title of the post.  Sorry.





My inspiration for the ottoman came with a $1 breakfast at Ikea.  Kitty, myself and my husband enjoyed our cheap treat and of course had to wander through Ikea.  I did exercise some shopping restraint.  But in the fabric section these large circular bundles of square cloth pieces caught my eye, along with the $3.99 (I think) price.  There were at least 40 pieces of material with different bundles having different colour themes.  Brought home a bundle and the wheels started turning.


The Inspiration

Supplies
  • Aleene's Tacky Glue
  • Beacon's Quick Grip Glue
  • Iron-on hemming
  • Iron, pins, ironing board
  • Cardboard for the top piece of the ottoman
  • Fabric
  • Felt or batting for the fluff factor
  • Foam (or in my case, those kneeling pads you use when gardening)
  • Embroidery floss
  • Wood feet (optional)
  • Wood stain or paint (for the wood feet)
  • Clamps (optional)
I took Kris' measurements of 2 1/8 by 1 5/8 for the general dimensions.  The foam itself was 3/4 of an inch thick.  Close enough for me!

I wrapped the bottom of the foam with fabric.  I always use Quick Grip glue, but be forewarned if you make it gloppy, it will bleed through the fabric.




I then took a strip of the fabric, the length being the entire circumference of the foam block, and cut it so it was 3/4 inch wide PLUS room for a hem.

Then I used the iron-on hemming to make the strip neat and tidy.

Advice: Gently pinch the fabric at each 4 corners, then go back to press each corner with the iron.  Makes for sharp corners!  And clamp the 2 ends to the foam to dry.



I then took the cardboard I had cut for the top of the ottaman and wrapped it in felt.  I didn't have batting sheets. 

Then, I wrapped the whole top with the fabric.  Unlike Kris' tutorial I didn't make the top piece square and repeat the fabric band part around it.  I simply folded the material over and glued.






Here is the beast glued together and clamped.  Doing it by hand is a big pain and I always find something slips off center just enough that I get angry.






I couldn't get inspired to follow Kris' instructions for piping.  It just looked like too much work at 10 pm for me to try.  SO I took some embroidery floss, used my Aleene's glue on my fingers and smeared the floss with glue, then gave it a few twists.  I gave it a minute to tack up, then put it in the seam between the top and the base.  Gap problem solved!

I stained and glued on 4 wood feet to finish the look.



And here is my finished product!  The height works better with my couch.  

All in, it took less then 1 hour while I did loads of laundry.

And please look through Kris at 1 Inch Mini's tutorial before following mine.  She has all the details and knowledge, I just modified things to suit my needs.







No comments :

Post a Comment