Friday, 16 January 2015

The Couch Surfer














When I started redesigning the dollhouse from its original state I stumbled upon MitchyMooMiniatures fantastic tutorial on how to build a 1:12 scale couch.  I started that couch in later winter 2014.  It was completed January 2015.  Oooops.

I decided to make mine from wood rather then MDF simply because the 2 pieces of 3/16 Elmers Wood Slats when glued together make the correct thickness (+/- a bit).  And I also decided to use my good friend, Quick Grip glue rather then double sided tape.  This was a bit of a double edged sword, sure it holds like no ones business, but if you mess up with that glue on fabric you either are spending tons of time fixing it or starting with fresh fabric (and swearing lots).  I used a dark grey suiting fabric (polyester) on the couch.  It was fantastic to work with.

The MitchyMooMiniatures sofa tutorial Part 1 and Part 2 are your best bet, so please read and follow them before looking at my work.  But I'm going to show you what I did and my little modifications.

The Inspiration

  • The MitchyMooMiniatures sofa tutorial Part 1 and Part 2 
  • A vintage feel
  • The need for furniture (and E bay's wears were not impressive)

Supplies

  • Elmers wood slats (or whatever brand you find of 3/16 inch thick slats
  • Construction adhesive (if you're me) or Quick Grip Glue or Wood Glue
  • Clamps
  • Saw
  • Material (I found mine at Walmart)
  • Wood feet + stain
  • Ruler
  • Iron-on hemming tape
  • Foam garden knee pad (for cushion)
  • Fluffy pillow filler or felt (to stuff the back cushion)

I started both the chair and the couch using the 2 pieces of wood slats that I adhered together.  I'm of the go-big-or-go-home mindset so I busted out a tube of construction adhesive and used it as my glue.  Excessive? Oh yeah.  But I love using construction adhesive unnecessarily on projects. 

I let the adhesive set up over night and checked that the clamps hadn't misaligned the wood as it dried.


I used iron-on hemming tape to hem all my fabric edges on the main piece that wraps over the body of the couch.

And I used the iron-on hemming tape on my fabric to make the strips for over the arms to cover the seams.


I didn't have anything to pad the back cushion so I used 2 pieces of dark grey felt.  It worked just fine.  

The seat cushion was the suggested foam garden knee pad.  Amazingly easy to cut.  I used some of the foam again in the ottoman. 


Drum roll.......and the matching chair!





Here are my measurements for the matching chair to the couch.  It's a generous seat, so maybe next time I might shave off 10cm from the seat base.  







And then I chopped it up with my hack saw in my vice grip.  I didn't bother with the circular saw because I was worried the thin, cheap dry wood would splinter and crack.

Again, I secured it all with construction adhesive! And did everything I did with the couch in terms of the iron-on hemming and gluing.




 I have a burning desire to modify the arms and give them a swoop or tuft the back cushion or do a skirt with piping.  But I need to reel in those thoughts.  Or I will have another sofa sitting around for close to a year. 

I made the pillows from my Ikea fabric squares.  Let's be clear, upholstery material is not best used for tiny pillows.  



If you all hadn't guessed, I'm currently working on the living room of the dollhouse.  And jumping around as thoughts and projects jump into my head.  I have a back log of finished projects I need to post, but right now I'm working away at the hairpin legs for my end tables and the bookcase to flank my fireplace. And I think I might paint a picture tonight to see how I do in miniature......break out the rum and coke! 




2 comments :

  1. You did a fantastic job of it and I love that the foot stool is a different fabric. It works great together. Your cushions too add a lovely splash of colour. Fabulous modern scene =0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better late then never! I didn't see this until today. Oops. Thanks Pepper!

      Delete